Connecting the agent through an HTTP proxy server
The Uptrends Infra Agent is optimized for secure network environments by connecting outward through HTTPS connections to our cloud servers. This way, most firewalls already allow our traffic to pass without any additional configuration.
However, if your organization’s network security policies require all outbound Internet traffic to go through a proxy server, you may need to configure the Agent to explicitly use this proxy server.
In order to tell the Agent which proxy server to use, you need to create some configuration files in the installation directory of the Uptrends Infra Agent. Please follow these steps:
- Using a text editor (e.g. Notepad), create a new text file, and paste the following content:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true" enabled="true">
<proxy proxyaddress="http://hostname:port" />
- In the <proxy> tag, replace the words hostname and port with the actual host name and port number for your organization’s proxy server.
- Save the file in the Uptrends Infra Agent installation directory (where the file Uptrends.Infra.Agent.exe is already located), and make sure its name is Uptrends.Infra.Agent.exe.config.
- Make a duplicate copy of this file and name it Uptrends.Infra.RegisterAgent.exe.config.
- Restart the UptrendsInfraAgent service to reload the new configuration.
- If your Agent hasn’t been registered yet, open the Register Uptrends Infra Agent application and register the agent.
- Your Agent should now appear in the Uptrends Infra web application.
Service account authorizations
By default, the Uptrends Infra Agent service runs under the Local System account. This account may not have the correct authorizations to connect to the Internet through your proxy server. If you encounter any problems or error messages, make sure that the Local System account has the appropriate proxy authorizations.
- You can use Microsoft Sysinternals PsExec to run a session of Internet Explorer as Local System (command:
psexec -s -i "%programfiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"). This serves a dual purpose:
- To enter (and save) the credentials for use when connecting to the proxy server
- To confirm connectivity with the internet through the proxy.
- You can also configure the Agent to log in under a different account that has the required authorizations to use the proxy server. Please be aware that the service account is also the default account used for all monitoring checks. You can enter alternative sets of credentials through the Uptrends Infra web application.